2-Step Authentication (2SA) is an additional security step to access Chaser that makes your account safer. This feature is becoming more and more common on web applications to better protect users from cybercriminals trying to access their sensitive data.
2-Step Authentication is optional for most Chaser users, but in support of the ATO’s requirements for digital service providers, it is now mandatory for all of our Australian users.
How it works
Once you have 2SA set up, the next time you log into Chaser, you will enter your email, password and a unique code generated by an authentication app. We recommend using Google Authenticator or Authy.
- The app generates a new code every 30 seconds, so the code is different each time you log in.
- No one else can log into your account, as you're the only one who knows your email and password and has access to your authentication device.
- If you access more than one organisation under the same login, you only need to set 2SA up once, as it applies to any device or browser you use to access Chaser.
- If you access different organisations using different logins, set up separate 2SA accounts for each login, using the same app.
- Chaser generates the same codes, so when you enter the code from your app, it matches Chaser, verifying it's you logging in. Both codes are generated using the same secret key that's unique to you.
- If you want to change your authentication device, you will need to disable 2SA and set it up again using your preferred, new device.
How to set up 2-Step Authentication
- Download and install an authentication app on your phone and follow the set-up instructions
- Log into Chaser > My Account > Security > Setup 2SA
- Open your authentication app and select to add an account
- Scan the QR code presented in Chaser. Alternatively, you can manually enter the key displayed alongside the QR code
- Enter the 6-digit code provided by your authentication app into Chaser
- Click Enable 2-Step Authentication
If you do not have access to your authentication device, you can log in using a one-time authentication code sent to an alternative email address.
- Enter your email address and password
- Select ‘Can’t access the authentication app?’ on Chaser
- Check your email for your one-time authentication code
- Enter the one-time authentication code into Chaser