How to set up Two Factor Authentication (2FA) for your Chaser account
Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) is an additional security step to access Chaser that makes your account safer. With cloud apps (such as Chaser) becoming more and more popular as the world shifts to modern solutions, they also become more of a target, so 2FA adds another layer of protection from cybercriminals trying to access sensitive data.
Is 2FA optional?
From January 2023, Two-Factor-Authentication will be required to use Chaser, to all subscribed accounts.
For Australian organisations, In support of the ATO’s requirements for digital service providers, all user accounts are required to have 2FA setup.
How it works
2FA works by combining something you know (your password) with something you have (your mobile phone). When you log in to Chaser, you will enter your email and password as usual, and then Chaser asks you to enter a unique code, generated by an authentication app on your phone.
How to set up Two-Factor Authentication
- Download and install an authentication app on your phone and follow the set-up instructions. We recommend using Google Authenticator - Android / iOS
- Log into Chaser > My Account > Security > Setup 2SA
- Open your authentication app and select to add an account
- Scan the QR code presented in Chaser. Alternatively, you can manually enter the key displayed alongside the QR code
- Enter the 6-digit code provided by your authentication app into Chaser
- Click Enable 2-Step Authentication
Is it always the same 6-digit code?
No, the app generates a new code every 30 seconds, so the code is different each time you log in.
What if I have access to more than one organisation with the same login?
If you access more than one organisation under the same login, you only need to set 2FA once for your account, as it applies to any device or browser you use to access Chaser.
What if I have access to different logins?
If you access different organisations using different logins, you need to setup 2FA separately for each account, using the same app.
How do I change authentication device?
If you want to change your authentication device, you will need to disable 2FA and set it up again using your preferred, new device.
Does Xero Verify work as an authentication app?
No, Xero Verify only works with Xero.
If you do not have access to your authentication device, you can log in using a one-time authentication code sent to your email address.
- Enter your email address and password
- Select ‘Can’t access the authentication app?’ on Chaser
- Check your email for your one-time authentication code
- Enter the one-time authentication code into Chaser